Historic Pella Trust is in the process of changing their name to Pella Preservation Trust! We are still the same organization that began 28 years ago but we decided to make this change to avoid confusion with other local historic organizations.
The Pella Preservation Trust, established in 1994, is a non-profit 501 c-3 preservation group who helps to preserve Pella’s architectural resources so that future generations will continue to be enriched by the historic legacy of Pella’s Dutch heritage and culture. We serve in a counseling and advisory capacity regarding historically correct architecture and disseminate information regarding restoration and reconstruction of facilities.
Our Mission Statement is to protect and promote buildings, landscapes, and sites important to the heritage of Pella, Iowa.
Our office is located in the oldest building in Pella, Iowa, The Thomas Tuttle Cabin was built in 1843. It is the homestead that included the center of town and was purchased by the Dutch leader, H.P. Scholte. Tours can be arranged by email. On the North side of Tuttle Cabin you will find Tuttle Learning Walk that leads to Sunken Garden Park.
The Trust interacts to rescue historically significant property in danger of demolition. Restoration of these properties and protection covenants are arranged by our organization. We take an active approach towards historic preservation advocacy working with local, state and national government agencies to document and preserve.
Protect & Promote our Heritage
Ribbon Cutting Celebration for the Collegiate Historic District being place on the National Register of Historic Places 2018
Recent Blog Posts
- Preserve Pella 2022 Volume 30 October 28, 2022
- Bringing the lampshade home, an Update On the Waechter – Boardwalk House 2022 October 17, 2022
- 2022 Pella Preservation Trust Review October 14, 2022
- Preserve Pella 2021 Volume 29 October 18, 2021
- Help Save Pella’s Community Center, Support Preservation! September 28, 2021
- The Tulip Tower, or “Tulp Toren” July 25, 2021
- Preserve Pella 2020, Volume 28 November 3, 2020
- Remembering Pella’s Avid Preservationist; Stu Kuyper, Oct. 14, 1921- July 5, 1980 July 6, 2020
- Tuttle Cabin and Early Pella History Lesson May 18, 2020
- History of the Hose Tower at the Original Pella Fire Station March 23, 2020
New: Donate Online!
In the News and Events
Read blog about our concerns for Pella’s Historic Community Center by clicking on this link.
Thank you for helping to build Tuttle Learning Walkway!
We are excited to introduce the Tuttle Learning Walkway in partnership with the City of Pella!
Historic Pella Trust provided 100% of the cost to build the Tuttle Learning Walk.