The Historic Pella Trust, established in 1994, is a non-profit preservation group who helps to preserve Pella’s architectural resources so that future generations will continue to be enriched by the historic legacy of Pella’s Dutch heritage and culture. We serve in a counseling and advisory capacity regarding historically correct architecture and disseminate information regarding restoration and reconstruction of facilities.
Our Mission Statement is:
To Protect and Promote Buildings, Landscapes, and Sites
Important to the Heritage of Pella, Iowa.
Protect & Promote our Heritage
Our office is located in the oldest building in Pella, Iowa, The Thomas Tuttle Cabin Build in 1843. We do provide tours of this historic landmark.
The Trust interacts to rescue historically significant property in danger of demolition. Restoration of these properties and protection covenants are arranged by our organization. We take an active approach towards historic preservation advocacy working with local, state and national government agencies to document and preserve.
Members receive our newsletter “Preserve Pella”. Our annual meeting is in November, by tradition we honor several Pella homeowners with a Historic Landmark plaque and award during this meeting.
Recent Blog Posts
- Dutch Language Classes offered March 2019 January 21, 2019
- The History Behind the Stately Home on the Hill at 503 Main January 20, 2019
- Preserve Pella Volume 26 November 29, 2018
- Red Rock Line October 28, 2018
- KNIA KRLS Radio Coverage of the Waechter House Move October 27, 2018
- Ribbon Cutting Ceremony; KNIA KRLS Radio Broadcast of the Collegiate Historic District Neighborhood October 17, 2018
- Historic home restoration and preservation isn’t just for men! Jill Jansen featured in the Pella Chronicle… October 13, 2018
- Jill Jansen and Rhonda Kermode preview the upcoming block party on Broadway October 9, 2018
- Bob Leonard’s In Depth Radio Program on the Historic District October 9, 2018
- Collegiate Historic District Block Party Rescheduled to October 13, 2018 October 8, 2018
New: Donate Online!
In the News and Events
Fund Raising has begun for the
Tuttle Learning Walkway!
We are excited to introduce the Tuttle Learning Walkway in partnership with the City of Pella! The walkway will provide an educational experience using signage, instructional capsules and landscaping to offer historical insights and information regarding Pella’s early history. Historic Pella Trust has committed to raise 100% of the funds needed for the project so that no tax dollars will be involved. The Learning Walk will utilize a vacated city alleyway beside Tuttle Cabin that leads north to Sunken Garden Park.
Our Facebook news feed is available to our viewers even if you are not a member of Facebook; you can view the post below by clicking on the white lettering or white photo word and it will open on your browser. Please enjoy looking at our social media posts:
Historic Pella Trust on Facebook
Support the Historic Pella Trust
Contributions to the Historic Pella Trust are critical to preserving the rich and storied heritage of Pella and its architecture. To donate, go to the Membership and Donations page. To learn more about the Historic Pella Trust, check out the sections in About Us, or look at some of our current projects under the Current Projects tab!