The Historic Pella Trust, established in 1994, is a non-profit preservation group who helps to preserve Pella’s architectural resources so that future generations will continue to be enriched by the historic legacy of Pella’s Dutch heritage and culture. We serve in a counseling and advisory capacity regarding historically correct architecture and disseminate information regarding restoration and reconstruction of facilities.
Our Mission Statement is:
To Protect and Promote Buildings, Landscapes, and Sites
Important to the Heritage of Pella, Iowa.
Protect & Promote our Heritage
Our office is located in the oldest building in Pella, Iowa, The Thomas Tuttle Cabin Build in 1843. We do provide tours of this historic landmark.
The Trust interacts to rescue historically significant property in danger of demolition. Restoration of these properties and protection covenants are arranged by our organization. We take an active approach towards historic preservation advocacy working with local, state and national government agencies to document and preserve.
Members receive our newsletter “Preserve Pella”. Our annual meeting is in November, by tradition we honor several Pella homeowners with a Historic Landmark plaque and award during this meeting.
Recent Blog Posts
- A Place To Call Home; by Rachel Line and Sallie DeReus February 13, 2019
- 1964 Pella Christian High School Fire February 2, 2019
- Clover Leaf Dairy and a Love That Lasts a Lifetime… January 26, 2019
- Dutch Language Classes offered March 2019 January 21, 2019
- The History Behind the Stately Home on the Hill at 503 Main January 20, 2019
- Preserve Pella Volume 26 November 29, 2018
- Red Rock Line October 28, 2018
- KNIA KRLS Radio Coverage of the Waechter House Move October 27, 2018
- Ribbon Cutting Ceremony; KNIA KRLS Radio Broadcast of the Collegiate Historic District Neighborhood October 17, 2018
- Historic home restoration and preservation isn’t just for men! Jill Jansen featured in the Pella Chronicle… October 13, 2018
New: Donate Online!
In the News and Events
Your financial Support is needed to build the Tuttle Learning Walkway!
We are excited to introduce the Tuttle Learning Walkway in partnership with the City of Pella! The walkway will provide an educational experience using signage, instructional capsules and landscaping to offer historical insights and information regarding Pella’s early history.
Historic Pella Trust has committed to raise 100% of the funds needed for the project so that no tax dollars will be involved. The Learning Walk will utilize a vacated city alleyway beside Tuttle Cabin that leads north to Sunken Garden Park.
Historic Rock House for Rent
1401 University Street
Consider living in our historic rock house built by stone mason Dick VanLoon in the late 1800’s. Four rooms on the main floor and a loft, perfect size for one person. Located on a large double lot with room for growing, gardening and enjoying country living on the edge of Pella. Please email including your phone number and tell us why you would like to live in this special landmark. Email essay for Rock House Rental consideration