This original hand-made floor tile was a part of the “Little Cellar” of the Tuttle Log House built by Thomas and Nancy Tuttle in May of 1843. These tiles were not all uniformly made. Some were thicker than others, but were mostly the same size square to fit together. The cellar was located on the eastern side of the Log House beneath the central portion of the east log wall of the house. The entrance was a wooden door which opened to a small staircase which descended into the small cool cellar. The “Little Cellar” was used as a cooling place for various items. It served as storage for foods and beverages, including wines, which were all grown or made by those who lived in the Log House.
On Loan-Gift by Dr. and Mrs. Ronald D. Rietveld